1-year contract position with the possibility of extension
Community Legal Information (CLI) is an Island charity that provides legal information, public education, justice system navigation, and lawyer referrals. Our goal is to provide Islanders with plain language information about Canadian law and our justice system.
CLI is seeking a team member to fulfill the role of Legal Navigator to work providing general client service and to support the Renting PEI project.
Client Inquiry Line and Lawyer Referral Service (LRS)
- Provide legal information to clients in plain language.
- Deal courteously with LRS requests while triaging clients.
- Identify and provide appropriate referrals and communicate details to lawyers and clients.
- Ensure that concerns from lawyers and clients are immediately forwarded to the Executive Director.
- Manage and improve LRS information and processes in collaboration with other staff.
- Administer LRS procedures in a clear, confidential, and accountable manner.
- Record client statistics.
Presentations & Project Support
- Deliver legal information presentations.
- Work with the Renting PEI project and provide client service as needed.
- Support other projects as requested.
Skills & Experience
- University or college degree or an acceptable combination of skills and work experience.
- 1+ years’ experience working with the public.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Experience working with diverse populations, especially vulnerable groups.
- Liaising with other community partners, groups and/or government.
- Experience assisting people who are upset or in crisis.
- Lived experience as a tenant in Canada.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Strong organizational skills and the demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Advanced skills using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Aptitude to learn and apply new and complex information quickly.
- Familiarity with legal topics, including family law.
- Knowledge of PEI’s Rental of Residential Property Act.
- Genuine interest in educating the public about tenants’ and landlords’ rights and responsibilities.
- 1+ years’ experience working in a non-profit organization.
- Fluency in English and one of the following languages is an asset: French, Arabic or Chinese.
There is occasional overtime required for meetings or to deliver presentations during the evening or on weekends. Access to reliable transportation is required.
Compensation and Workplace Culture
This is a one-year full-time contract position at 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday with the possibility of renewal pending further funding. The annual starting salary is $46,488. CLI also offers a competitive employee benefits package including a comprehensive medical and dental benefits package, a Group RRSP plan, a family-friendly work environment, and 4 weeks of paid vacation annually.
- The starting salary is $23.84 per hour.
- Competitive employee benefits package including comprehensive medical and dental benefits.
- Generous vacation.
- Group RRSP plan with employer matching employee contributions up to 5% of your gross wage.
- Supportive family-friendly work environment.
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume and three professional references to Ellen Mullally, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply! The deadline to apply is Friday, June 2nd at 12 noon.