Bilingual Client Service Worker
Community Legal Information (CLI) is an Island charity that provides legal information, public education, justice system navigation, and lawyer referrals. Our goal is to provide Islanders with useful and understandable information about our laws and the justice system.
Community Legal Information offers a legal support service for people who have experienced sexual violence or workplace sexual harassment – the RISE Program. CLI is seeking an empathetic and resourceful person to provide client service to RISE and CLI clients. The Bilingual Client Service Worker will be responsible for client intake, providing clients with legal information, referrals to community supports, and help navigating their legal options. The Bilingual Client Service Worker will also assist with the coordination of trauma-informed training for stakeholders and recruit lawyers for the RISE program. Travel throughout the province is required occasionally.
Community Legal Information provides a legal information line and lawyer referral service. The Bilingual Client Service Worker will work some of the time providing general client service and some of the time working with the RISE Program. This position reports to the Executive Director and the RISE Program Manager. The successful candidate must sign a confidentiality agreement and complete a criminal record check.
RISE Program Duties:
- Case management: Answer inquiries from survivors of sexual violence and workplace sexual harassment about the RISE Program and available resources, provide legal information and lawyer referrals, provide referrals to other community supports, provide emotional support, educate clients about legal options, and track statistics.
- Program delivery: Assist with RISE program delivery as needed, including planning, administration, marketing, outreach, evaluation, budgeting, and reporting.
- Community Networking: Foster community partnerships relevant to the program.
- Public Education Materials: Assist with the development of plain language legal resources.
- Teamwork: Collaborate with colleagues to deliver effective public legal education programming.
- Media: Respond to media inquiries in English and French.
- General Administrative Duties: Provide general administrative support as required.
CLI’s Client Inquiry Line and Lawyer Referral Service (LRS) Duties:
- Respond to general legal information requests by phone, email, and instant messenger.
- Provide lawyer referrals when appropriate. The Lawyer Referral Service allows the client to meet with a lawyer for up to 45 minutes for $25+ tax.
- Provide appropriate referrals to community organizations, government departments, or other services.
- Ensure that concerns from lawyers and clients are immediately forwarded to the Executive Director.
- Manage and improve LRS information and processes as part of the CLI Team.
- Administer LRS procedures in a sensitive, confidential, and accountable manner.
- University or college degree in a related field or an equal combination of skills and work experience.
- 1+ years’ experience working with vulnerable populations.
- 1+ years’ experience working with the public.
- Demonstrated sensitivity towards survivors of sexual violence and workplace sexual harassment.
- A basic understanding of trauma informed practices and the potential impacts of trauma.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to work effectively with others.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and other basic office software.
- Fluency in English and French.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Experience working in a non-profit setting.
- Training in crisis intervention.
- An understanding of the law and legal processes on PEI.
The position is a full-time one-year contract position at 37.5 hours per week. Possibility of extension. The starting salary range is $43,000 – $46,000. Employee benefits package includes a comprehensive medical and dental package, and competitive vacation offered upon completion of probationary period. Some overtime may be required occasionally. This position will be based at two different locations in Charlottetown.
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume, a plain language writing sample (one page max) and three professional references to Ellen Mullally, Executive Director at email@example.com.
The deadline to apply is Friday July 23rd at 5 pm.
Candidates are encouraged to apply before the closing date as applications will be screened as they are received.