Legal Navigator – RISE Program
Community Legal Information (CLI) is an Island charity that provides legal information, public education, justice system navigation, and lawyer referrals. Our goal is to provide Islanders with useful and understandable information about our laws and the justice system.
Community Legal Information offers a legal support service for people who have experienced sexual violence workplace sexual harassment, or intimate partner violence. We are seeking an empathetic and resourceful person to act as a Legal Navigator for RISE clients. The Legal Navigator will be responsible for client intake, providing clients with emotional support, legal information, referrals to lawyers and community supports, and assistance navigating their legal options.
The Legal Navigator will also assist with the delivery of trauma-informed training and family violence training for stakeholders and will recruit lawyers for the program. Travel throughout the province may be required.
Community Legal Information provides a legal information inquiry line and lawyer referral service. After a training period, the Legal Navigator will staff the inquiry line one day a week.
Legal Navigator Duties:
- Case management: Answer inquiries about the program and available resources, provide legal information and referrals to legal and non-legal resources, provide emotional support, assist with educating the client about legal options, and track statistics.
- Program delivery: Assist with program delivery as needed, including planning, administration, outreach, delivery, evaluation, budgeting, and reporting.
- Community Networking: Foster community partnerships relevant to the program.
- Public Education Materials: Assist with the development of plain language legal resources.
- Teamwork: Collaborate with colleagues to deliver effective public legal education programming.
Client Inquiry Line and Lawyer Referral Service (LRS):
- Respond to general legal information requests by phone and email.
- Provide lawyer referrals when appropriate. The Lawyer Referral Service allows the client to meet with a lawyer for up to 45 minutes for $25+ tax.
- Identify and provide appropriate referrals to community organizations, government departments, or other services.
- Ensure that concerns from lawyers and clients are immediately forwarded to the Executive Director.
- Manage and improve LRS information and processes as part of the CLI Team.
- Administer LRS procedures in a trauma informed, confidential, and accountable manner.
- University degree in a related field or an equal combination of skills and work experience.
- 1+ years’ experience working with vulnerable populations.
- 1+ years’ experience working with the public.
- Demonstrated sensitivity towards survivors of sexual violence, workplace sexual harassment and intimate partner violence.
- Demonstrated experience working with people who are upset or in crisis.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and an ability to work with others.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, Canva, Adobe products, and other basic office software.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Ability to work effectively remotely when required.
- Experience working in a non-profit setting.
- Training in crisis intervention.
- An understanding of the law and legal processes on PEI.
- Experience maintaining confidentiality.
- Fluency in French and English.
- Fluency in a non-official language.
Full time contract position at 37.5 hours per week. Salary is $44,000 per year for a 10-month contract position. Possibility of contract extension pending funding availability and job performance. Some overtime may be required occasionally.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and three references to Ellen Mullally, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early as applications will be reviewed as they are received. Deadline to apply is Wednesday January 26th, 2022, at 4 pm.