Lawyer Referral Service
This service is available to anyone, regardless of income. It is designed to encourage you to seek legal advice early before your problems become complicated and expensive.
This referral is for information and general advice only. The lawyer cannot prepare documents or act as your representative within the consultation. The lawyer is not required to take your case and you do not have to hire the lawyer that you meet with. If you choose to have the lawyer do work for you after the consultation, and they agree, you must discuss the lawyer’s regular service fees.
How It Works
- Call CLI. Explain the type of problem you have. The Service can give you a referral to a lawyer on PEI.
- You arrange an appointment with the lawyer. With a referral from Community Legal Information, the lawyer will give you a consultation of up to 45 minutes for $25.00 plus HST.
- The lawyer will tell you whether they think you have a legal problem, what would be involved in addressing the issue, how long it should take to solve the problem, and about how much it will cost.
Some lawyers can communicate in French. Indicate your language preference to us when you call.
Please note the following:
- Most of our volunteer lawyers are in Charlottetown and Summerside.
- Community Legal Information and The Law Society of Prince Edward Island do not have a mechanism for testing the lawyer’s special skills and we do not make any representations as to these skills.
- The Lawyer Referral Service is not Legal Aid. You can find the information about Legal Aid on the PEI Government’s website.